Old September 16th 18, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Tinted canopies

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 8:02:29 PM UTC-7, Gerry Simpson wrote:
What has been the experience among the readers of this sight with respect to colorless or blue tinted canopies and perception changes. For example, do haze domes look essentially the same? Do crops and ground features appear altered? It was conveyed to me from a reasonably knowledgeable source that Sebastian Kawa will not fly with a tinted canopy for these reasons. Also, how much hazardous UV protection is actually afforded by blue tint?

Many manufactures offer clear, blue or green tint. I understand from several manufacturer reps over the decades that they generally suggest clear canopies on east coast and tinted for western pilots. AS I am a western pilot I have ordered green tint several times and was always happy I did. I ordered green as, green is a popular color for aviation sunglasses years ago. I have purchased several gliders from the east coast with clear canopies and always missed the tint.