Old May 4th 14, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Trailer Chains - To Cross of Not to Cross - That is the Question

On Friday, May 2, 2014 3:21:47 PM UTC-7, JohnDeRosa wrote:
I have been told that crossing your trailer safety chains is the right thing to do. Something about if the coupler comes off the ball, the trailer will be limited in its wayward travel. Sounds like something for Mythbusters to figure out. Yes or no, what say you?

I don't see how this discussion makes any sense unless it is stated where each end of each chain is attached.

Cobra trailers are delivered to USA with no chains. They only have the standard European emergency brake actuating cable. When I picked up my new glider from the port I took a length of chain. I attached each end of it to each of the bolts that secure the tongue to the trailer floor (redundant attachment to trailer). The front end of the loop is hooked up to one of the tow bar chain eyes with a screw gate link when towing (single point failure). The chain is routed over the top of the trailer jacking wheel attach bracket so it does not drag on the road.

My glider was received shortly after the rash of tow tongue failure reports in USA so I knew the chains had to be attached to the trailer body and not to the tongue itself.

The distance between the trailer axle and the chain attach points is so long on a glider trailer that I doubt it makes any difference to unhook stability exactly where they are attached or whether they are crossed. May be a different story for a short trailer.

Andy