Old March 30th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

Default Confusing instructions from ATC.. looking for a concise response

No, there is no standard way. Controllers are supposed to use the
phraseology dictated by the Air Traffic Control Handbook until it becomes
apparent that the pilot doesn't understand....then plain language takes
over. "I don't understand what you want me to do" is as good as anything.
You should definitely not take any action based on an instruction that you
do not fully understand. Don't worry about bugging the controllers...they're
used to it.

Bob Gardner
SAY AGAIN, PLEASE

"Terence Wilson" wrote in message
When a transmission is garbled I'm used to saying "say again", but I
was wondering what to say when a transmission comes through in the
clear, but doesn't make much sense (to me). This probably doesn't
happen very often to experienced pilots, but how would you advise a
student to respond? Should I simply say

"Cherokee 1234, don't understand"

Or is there an standard way of saying I don't have a clue what you're
talking about?

Thanks in advance.