Old December 31st 11, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default Removing vinyl letters

On Dec 30, 7:38*pm, Gary wrote:
On Dec 30, 8:58*pm, wrote:

On Dec 30, 7:15*pm, JC wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:06:50 -0800 (PST), Gary
wrote:

Working on my ASW-20 today. Changing the contest numbers and N# which
are old vinyl markings. My guess is they were applied *around 1995
when the fuselage was refinished.
A fingernail did not get an edge started so looking for the best way
to remove these with relative ease.

Thanks
Gary Adams GB

I have removed lots of vinyl lettering from vehicles.

Use a hair dryer to warm up the entire surface of the letter, grab a
corner and the whole thing should pull off. *Don't overheat, you do
not want to damage the gelcoat.

And WOODEN scraper. Clean up leftover adheasive with acetone, the
compound and polish.
Good Luck
UH- Hide quoted text -

Thanks all.....one more day vacation, so hope to start the process
tomorrow.
GB- Hide quoted text -

You may find the gelcoat under the removed numbers is quite a bit
whiter than the surrounging gelcoat. Recommend you wet-sand the area
with 600 wet, then buff and polish back to a shine before installing
new numbers.
Enjoy your new bird in 2012,
JJ