Thread: 1-26 Price
View Single Post
Old April 23rd 20, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default 1-26 Price

There's also this little economic phenomenon called inflation.Â* You see
it in materials, wages, etc., and it all ends up in the price of
things.Â* But I'm an engineer, not an economist so I'm probably wrong.

On 4/23/2020 10:07 AM, John Foster wrote:
On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 7:03:35 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 3:06:11 PM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
prices seem to be going through the roof!

Really???? in 2000 I bought my first glider, a 1-26B with an enclosed trailer
for $7000. It was flyable as you say, but tired. Stripped it down to the tubing and did a restoration and instrument upgrade after a few years. Finally sold it after about 15 years for 12,000.

Price on a 1-26 is just like price on any glass ship, if the gel coat is blown up, or blowing up on a glass ship you can get it cheaper (more expensive in the long run).

Sill a great first ship that can teach you many things, and still fun to race in one class competition.

Kevin
formerly 192

A couple years ago when I first started trolling W&W adds looking for a potential ship, a decent flyable 1-26 was running in the $4k to $6k range. The ones offered now are twice that. I find it hard to believe that the quality of the current offerings are that much better than formerly, but I could be wrong. I realize you can spend a lot of money on new instruments--over $5k just on a basic set, so maybe this is what I'm seeing here? I also realize that restoring these ships is not cheap, and maybe the price of the current offerings is reflecting this as well.

--
Dan, 5J