Old November 14th 20, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Thank you

On 11/14/20 2:05 PM, jp wrote:
On Saturday, November 14, 2020 at 10:54:05 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 11/14/20 10:16 AM, jp wrote:
Thank you to all who have offered me help with setting up Thunderbird as a reader for rec.aviation.soaring. In spite of the help I have not been able to figure out how to set it up. I don't mind really. Google Groups is good enough for me.

I don't know what you've tried previously, but these instructions will
work for thunderbird:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...sgroup-account

Sorry, I can't seem to make this work as a hyperlink but you can copy
and paste it into your browser.

I set the newsgroup to: news.eternal-september.org, port 119 which was
the default

If you use eternal-september.org as your newsreader, you need to go to
their website and set up an account. There's further information there
to make it all work.

Eventually, you'll have to subscribe to the newsgroup during the setup.
Look out! When first set up, you'll be presented with close to 100,000
threads. You'll have to mark as read most of them to clean up. It
doesn't take too long...

Good luck!

--
Dan
5J

Thank you Dan. I gave it another try, using your suggestions. It seemed to set up ok but when I clicked on "Get Messages" nothing seemed to happen. Maybe I didn't wait long enough. I'll try again.

As I recall there was some detail that I found on eternal-september.org
that made the difference. It was one setting. I'll take another look
and see if I can find it.

--
Dan
5J