Old December 22nd 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Start Anywhere

Andy-San,

Like you I prefer the new rule over the old, but I disagree that it
puts more pressure on getting the perfect start. Without the rule,
there is a lot more lurking and loitering around the side of the start
cylinder in the direction of the first turn. With the rule, one can
explore the whole start cylinder for a good thermal and take it out
the top. I would feel more pressure under the old rule.

There is a small learning curve for scorers (as you know I was the
scorer at Parowan last year). The rule essentially requires that the
scorer examine any and all warnings or suggested penalties at a start.
Pilots should *always* verify their given score against what the
scorer accepts from Winscore, and know the rules wrt starting out the
top and nicking the cylinder again on course to the first turn (ref.
JJ's comment). And it never, EVER hurts to take the scorer a cold
something in a green bottle with your question, especially in Utah.

I'm looking forward to FLYING with the new rule at Parowan this year.
It's not even 2009 yet and the contest already has 35 pilots
registered!

~ted/2NO