Old October 31st 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Why are so many Stemme S10-VT motorgliders for sale?

This is a good thread and I would like to add my 2 cents worth. I
did have 5 flying machines, 2 single engine aircraft and 3 gliders. I
decided a month ago to reduce my fleet. With the power planes, and the
fact that I might loose my medical, letting go of the Lancair ES and
keeping the new Jabiru J250 light sports aircraft made sense. The
beautiful Lancair now has a very happy new owner. The decision with
the 3 soaring machines was more difficult. I have a Stemme S10-VT, a
DG800B and a SparrowHawk. I decided to lighten up by one. Which one?
If you have read what has been said most of the considerations have
been mentioned and I concur with almost all previously said.
OK, so what are my personal preferences? Minimum hazzle and maximum
fun. The DG rigging is a pain and really needs 2 people. So for the
winter it goes into its trailer. Both the Stemme and the SparrowHawk
fit into T hangers and are used year around. Much better ground
handlng with the Stemme and the SparrowHawk. The performances of the
DG and Stemme are virtually identical. The Stemme is a 2 place side by
side machine and I like that. The Stemme can cruise indefinitely at
greater than 100 knots up to 18,000 feet. It is the most versatile and
convenient motor glider (power plane?) in the world. The SparrowHawk
is by far the most fun glider I have ever flown, superbly light in its
handling and its ground handling is second to no glider. Just 100% fun
although I don't attempt 100k XCs with it (that's reserved for my 50/1
ships).
So which one of the 3 soaring machines do you think I have up for
sale?
Dave