Old August 10th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Tim Auckland

Default OLV GPS 36 approach question

To me, the issue hinges on whether the controller thought he was
issuing a clearance based on the traditional method of clearing the
plane to the IAF.
In this case, it's my belief that the controller made a mistake, and
should have assigned 2800 as the altititude.

If, on the hand, the controller was intending to follow the new
procedure of "direct clearance to an intermediate fix", then 2100 is
appropriate, but the controller should have advised the pilot to
"expect clearance direct to the Intermediate Fix" while the plane was
at least 5 miles from the fix.
The OP didn't indicate whether or not he was advised of this.

The controller's instructions for the new procedure can be found at:

http://www.faa.gov/ATPUBS/ATC/Chp4/atc0408.html#4-8-1

Tim.

On 10 Aug 2006 09:27:39 -0700, wrote:

Prior to the new change a clearance direct to DOCAP would have
required
a course reversal. No one was doing that, though, thus the pressure
for
the change.

But the TAA has had a NoPT sector for a straight-in ever since its
inception.

As far as I can tell, this new rule only affects Non-TAA RNav
approaches.