Old October 2nd 14, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Default October Soaring magazine OLC League article

I think the the 1-26's make better pictures for the artistic people that don't know a lot about soaring, but like all the pretty colors. Let's face it all the white composite gliders pretty much look alike to the uninitiated.. Except for the PW5 which if someone was setting you up with it, would be described as having a good personality, and a steady job.

I flew a sports class contest with a lone 1-26 entrant, flown by a competent pilot, bless his heart. He landed out every day, except for one, and on that day he got a standing ovation from all the other pilots on the flight line when he landed back at the airport with a completed task in the bag.

Its probably impossible to give a 1-26 enough of a handicap to actually make it competitive with modern composite gliders on a day with decent lift, and a little wind. Flown against other 1-26's with suitable tasking, I bet the Fun/$invested factor beats anything else out there, and then you factor in all the pretty colors that you can't get anywhere else.

The SSA magazine editors job is open, if you think you can do better, apply..

SF