Old December 30th 03, 08:44 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:03:12 -0500, Andrew Gideon
wrote in Message-Id:
ne.com:

Larry Dighera wrote:

It's hard to believe that an instrument rated pilot got lost and
circled the Statue of Liberty:

Well...no, not really. Rather: the IA rating isn't really relevant.

Personally, I believe that an instrument rated pilot is more
experienced, professional, and careful than a pilot lacking an
instrument rating. I would generally expect the competence of an
instrument rated pilot to exceed that of a pilot without without an
instrument rating, thus the reason for my comment.

If anything, taking the rating actually reduced my pilotage skill for a while.

That is understandable, given that the charts employed for instrument
flight lack topographic and landmark detail.

But not by so much that I'd be confused about Manhattan Island.

Precisely.

And he wasn't lost when he circled the statue. I'm not sure that this is
relevant, mind you. But he did find the statue. So...was he really
"lost"? Or did he misread the TAC?

We all have bad days, I suppose.