Old January 19th 04, 10:34 AM
Fred J. McCall

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

:"Jim E" wrote in message
:
: Watched the program.
: Their conclusion, frozen or thawed makes no difference to impact.
: Strictly a function of mass, velocity, and time of deceleration.
:
:Hmmm, I suspect when dealing with a kg of water it makes a
:big difference to the fan blades if that water is frozen
:in a single lump.

Sounds to me like they left out a calculation of the energy of
deformation (which doesn't go into the windscreen, but rather into the
chicken). Frozen chicken deforms much less, so I would expect it to
actually have greater energy of impact when compared to the non-frozen
variety given the same initial impetus.

Sort of like the 'crush space' on a car with a long hood.

territory."
--G. Behn