Old October 20th 13, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default 21m tipped Lak 17b!

Damn right it will be!

I finished 5th overall in a lak17a (that's right, lak17"A"!) this year at 18m nationals. I am a very average, inexperienced and essentially new contest pilot. I seemed to keep up with 29's pretty well. I imagine the 17b (with its ability to to up to 1300 gross weight) will be far, FAR more "even" with the 29 that the 17a is. The 17a was initially designed as a 15m and is therefore limited to 1103 gross weight max.

http://www.ssa.org/ContestResults.as...eter+Nationals

From what I have heard, the 17b is far more advanced than the 17a in almost all key aspects. The wing is entirely redesigned as 15/18 and not just 15 with 18 extensions as an afterthought as the 17a was... The airfoils are similar to the Diana 2. So I think it will do extremely well in 18 meter competition when in the hands of a strong pilot.

In 15 meter configuration, the 17a is very good, similar to an ASW 27 which it was designed to beat. The 17b is almost certainly better 15 meter configuration that the 17a with an entirely new wing winglets, new airfoils, a redesigned vertical stab, rudder and all new horizontal stab.

In 21 meter I suspect it will be very good (60:1, similar to the JS1) otherwise why would they bother? Will it compete with a Quintus or a Concordia? I highly doubt it, but it would be a hell of a glider for the $$$...

Sincerely,

Sean Fidler
F2, Lak17a #114