Old October 21st 13, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default 21m tipped Lak 17b!

No specs on the website yet - but announced on Blanik America site and in
the article on the Mini Lak on their news pages about the tips.

I'm presuming you can fly at 15. 18 and 21m with the same ship? Which will
probably make it a popular ship in the US- and agree with Sean bargain
and piloting points.

Upping to 850 kg probably not on- but maybe around the 650-700kg mark?
which would probably give it a similar wing loading to the JS1 with the
smaller wing area.

Now I wonder if the asg 29 is going to be tipped to 21m? (I know its a
tipped 27! and they have the ASH 31).

At 16:36 21 October 2013, John Galloway wrote:
You mean 850Kg?

If a 21m Lak 17B were to have a wing area similar to the
12.25m2 of the JS1C 21m then at 850kg MAUW it would have a
wingloading of over 69kg/m2! I am not sure where the water
would go. With the JS1C 21m you need to fill the wings, the
21m tips, have fuselage tanks full of water or fuel and a not too
lightweight pilot to get to the MAUW 720kg and 59kg/m2

Furthermore an 21m Lak 17 is likely to have an even smaller
wing area (and ?less water capacity) because the 18m Lak has
a wing area of 10.32m2 compared to 11.21m2 for an 18m JS1.

John Galloway

At 15:32 21 October 2013, Sean F F2 wrote:
They need a strong US (or Canadian) pilot RACING the glider

in US contests.
Period.

The Uvalde and Euro pilots have not been top shelf. JS1 is

better
connected and has many top pilots flying their hardware in

contrast.

I agree the 21 meter version needs to be at 850 if it is going

to be
seriously competitive at a world level BUT...in the US east

coast contest
environment it would probably be just fine if it was not able to

achieve
850.

I'll check and see what the specs say on the website...