Old May 7th 14, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert M

Default Fatal crash Arizona

Why is anyone aero towing with a tow hook that will back release? To me it is a basic safety issue. It is not just this latest tragic accident, I have seen more wild gyrations and damages brought on by aero towing with a C.G.. hook than with a nose hook that does not back release. There are, I think, very few glider models that cannot be retro fitted with a forward hook that does not back release. To those who admire the so called "Zuni hook", well I have one on my desk right now, it is a poor piece of engineering.

In Germany regulations have been enacted setting currency standards that one must meet before using a C.G. hook for aero tow.

It would be interesting to analyze damage claims on aero launches, sorted by nose, E-85 or similar, tow hooks against back releasing C.G. hooks.

But then maybe I should not make a big issue of it as I am in the glider repair business.

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, NM