Old September 11th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Default Malta plane crash, "aerobatic competition"

Peter Duniho schrieb:

I have only seen the video, so this is all I know. But with my limited
knowledge of the case:

Anyone have any other details about this? What aerobatic competition was
this?

First, please, this was *not* an "aerobatic competition". I don't know
what it was, maybe an air race, maybe an air show, but whatever it was,
it wasn't an "aerobatic competition".

They were in very close formation, and the trailing one descended
onto the leading one.

They were *not* in formation. The lower airplane overtook the upper one
pretty much without coordination.

it sure looks like the surviving pilot caused the accident, and did so
in a very reckless manner.

Not how I see it. The surviving pilot (i.e. the one in the upper plane
who chopped off the other's tail) never had the chance to even see the
lower, overtaking plane.

Stefan