Old January 31st 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Color Me Annoyed

Well, my 2007 annual condition inspection ends tomorrow... Yee Old
Crusty Mechanic has been increasingly hard to contact for the past two
months and now has disconnected his phone, his airplanes are gone, and
his hangar has been sold...

Hmmm. Doesn't sound like said Crusty Mechanic is your friend, to me.

Maybe you should fly Fat Albert to Iowa City, Denny. Our FBO here is going
great guns, with four or five full-time A&Ps.

I prefer to use my old friend who is now semi-retired (he only works on
planes of his choosing, in between wrenching full time on jets and building
his next airplane), but I've heard that the shop on the field here is quite
good.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Denny" wrote in message
Well, my 2007 annual condition inspection ends tomorrow... Yee Old
Crusty Mechanic has been increasingly hard to contact for the past two
months and now has disconnected his phone, his airplanes are gone, and
his hangar has been sold... I'm beginning to suspect that he does not
intend to do the annual on Fat Albert as he has promised several
times, right up to recently.. I hear rumours that he is wrenching on
diesel trucks for a living now... There indeed, is no joy in Mudville
tonight...

So, I got hold of another mechanic who promises that we can talk about
it next week!

Ya see, if general aviation is in such trouble, and mechanics are
having to go to wrenching on trucks for a living, then why can't you
find a mechanic who will work on your airplane within a reasonable
time frame? (mutter, mumble)

Anyway, I am forced to cancel a scheduled flight this weekend and the
one for next weekend is likely DOA also... I am going to see if a
bargain can be struck for me to pull the inspection plates and have
him inspect it and do the compression test, and sign the ship off so I
can have it for the 9th and 10th and then he can swing the gear,
etc., and do the other things I have been contemplating (new
hydraulic hoses, and 'maybe' a top overhaul on the right engine), at
his leisure...

Putting the RV7 back on the front burner and getting it finished is
beginning to look more attractive daily, then I won't be at the mercy
of these mechanics who whine they are starving, but just can't seem to
find the time...

denny