Old March 31st 04, 03:52 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Dude" wrote in message
Hmm, You raise an interesting point. Why is it that no one is making

those
planes anymore? Does everyone want turbine singles and twins instead?

I have seen that convrting the 421 to a turbine is becoming popular.

I know that turbines are safer than pistons, but I always believed that

the
difference in accidents between the turbine and piston twins was more a
matter of training than engine reliability.

Training and experience are definitely factors ("Professionally" flown vs
owner flown) but an engine failure, under the same circumstances, in a
piston popper might well be no big deal in a turbine.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think all that many piston engines have
full feathering props. Add the complexity of mixture control (and even

carb
heat in some) and there's more work when that much more frequent failure
occurs.

AFAIK all piston twins have feathering props. You probably meant
autofeathering though. Most of the safety difference is probably training
and the reliability of turbine engines. If you are ten times less likely to
have an engine failure, you are a lot less likely to have and engine failure
related accident.

Mike
MU-2