Old March 29th 14, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Boettger Distance Record Attempt Saturday Mar 29

On Friday, March 28, 2014 5:51:50 PM UTC-6, WaltWX wrote:
On Saturday March 29 I will be making another distance record attempt along with Hugh Bennett in the Duo Discus sailplane. Our intention is to be towed up by a towplane shortly before sunrise from the Minden Tahoe airport NV (KMEV), release and head in the direction of Rapid City, SD (KRAP), landing near sunset after flying over 850 miles. If we can go beyond that, we obviously will. As most know, we will be making this attempt in an unmotorized sailplane utilizing mountain wave updrafts to stay aloft. The weather is favorable for this intended direction, however excessive moisture is a concern and things can change rapidly. If the flight is aborted, Walt Rogers will post on his twitter account (below). We intend to climb up to 28,000 feet before proceeding east. As most know, there's no way to tell how far we end up going. It will depend on what the weather allows. It will be cold as the cockpit is unheated and unpressurized. There are too many factors involved to tell how far we end up, which also makes it quite fun to watch from the sidelines on the ground. Our call sign for the flight will be N55LK.

We will also be posting live pictures and video feed (workload permitting) and be in satellite communication with Walt Rogers, our meteorologist and dispatcher. You can follow his excellent twitter feeds with weather updates and our progress and inflight pictures by going to:

https://twitter.com/wrogerswx

You can join us during the flight by following our track which gives position, altitude, speed, and heading. Updates occur every 5 minutes. Click on the blue dots to see our position, speed, altitude, and heading. Click on the following link to access the site on Saturday, 3/29:

https://share.delorme.com/GordonBoettger

Also, we can be tracked on:

www.flightaware.com (not as precise)

One can also follow our live communications with Air Traffic Control by going to:

http://www.liveatc.net (I believe our first frequency will be Norcal Approach on 119.2 and then for OAK center 127.95 or 134.45)

My goal is to share this wonderful adventure and beauty of unpowered flight with the rest of the world. Without being in the cockpit, this is the best way we know how to share it. Feel free to share this with your friends.

Enjoy the ride,

Gordon Boettger

N55LK

Also tracking with visual weather on the SSA Sailplane Tracker and Glideport.