Old September 14th 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default Too many accidents

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 12:27:44 +0000, Jonathan Walker
wrote:

As for the comment that it make a good spin trainer with the spin weights I
would have to disagree. Its spin entry and recovery are inconsistent even
at the same CofG. If you look at the updated flight manual even the spin
recovery is non-standard. Note the point that says
"Warning: Fall forward stick may retard or even prevent spin recovery"

https://www.alexander-schleicher.de/..._TM23_E_HB.pdf

If your not careful you are training pilots with a recovery technique that
will not work for all other aircraft.

So far I have always taught the standard spin recovery - stick neutral
(!!), full opposite rudder, wait, recover. Works for all the gliders
I've flown so far (60+) and I cannot remember any halfways modern
glider where a different procedure is suggested.

Of course, spin entry is not as violent as in other gliders, but in my
opinion is is reasonably easy to give a valid demonstration.

Cheers
Andreas