Old January 9th 04, 02:56 PM
Tony Cox

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
(Doug) wrote:

Kershner's "The Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual" has the following
definition for Va.

Va - The maneuvering speed. This is the maxiumu speed at a particular
weight at which the controls may be fully deflected without
overstressing the airplane.

Va is the MAXIMUM speed (at max gross weight) at which the aircraft can
be stalled without exceeding its max designed load factor. The lower
the gross weight, the lower the effective Va (due to engine mounts, etc.)

This is incorrect. In fact, *both* definitions are incorrect (with
all due respect to Kershner). For planes certified under Pt 23,
flying at Va *does not* guarantee that you'll stall before exceeding
max design load factor, nor that you'll not overstress the airplane.

I know this will be controversial & generate a lot of heat, but
check out the thread "Overweight takeoff / flight" from last
November in rec.aviation.piloting. I used to believe this about
Va too, but it is wrong.

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.