Old September 22nd 04, 03:23 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Piperflyer wrote:
: After the hurricane, I found the panel lights on the left side which should
: go on with the Nav lights, are out. Nav lights do come on. Circuit braker is
: in.What could be the problem? Someone might know the answer outright.
: Couldn't be the bulb since all of them don't light up (unless they're
: connected in series). Probably not the switch either since the wingtip Nav
: lights come on. Should it be checked by a mechanic or Avionics shop or if it
: is something trivial, maybe I can do it myself. Appreciate any input from
: the group.
: N2096L.

Dunno about the Warrior, but on my Cherokee there are 2 dimmers, one for the
overhead light and one for the panel lights. The overhead light dimmer
turns on the NAV lights.
The panel lights draw something like 3 amps. All this current goes through
a little-bitty switch on the dimmer potentiometer. This switch was made
to turn a transistor radio on and off. It burned out on my plane. The
panel lights didn't come on. The fix was to get a new potentiometer/switch
(for $170) and have it installed.
As Michelle P. pointed out, there's a dual transistor dimmer as well. I
have found this to be pretty reliable but others have reported many
problems with it. Lookign through the Google archive should be illuminating
as well.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)