Old April 3rd 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Ralph_S

Default Brit 'prisoners', held by Iran

On 1 Apr, 22:20, "DominicSantini" wrote:
snip

Wasn't there a report that a UK destroyer in the
area was told not to engage the kidnappers during
the time the sailors were forcibly abducted ?

They "shoulda" blown the Iranians out of the water
right then & there. If I was CO of a DDG and some
sand monkeys were abducting my sailors, i'd be damned
if I'd let them get away with it!

That wasn't an option.
The BBC reported that HMS Cornwall (the frigate that was the base for
the captured boats) wasn't close enough to the location where the
incident occurred, and couldn't get near it because the Gulf is too
shallow there. The Frigate's Lynx wasn't closeby either when the
capture took place, since the inspection of Iraqi ship that was
intercepted was a routine matter. It also wasn't armed.

Ralph