Old May 26th 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Vertical stabilizer wont come out (Asw-19)

On May 26, 12:06*pm, Andy wrote:
On May 24, 4:48*pm, wrote:

Hi,
* I was wondering if anyone experienced anything alike before and
might have any useful insights:
My vertical stabilizer on the Asw-19 has always been a problem when
being disassembled and has always required little more force to remove
than it was called for. Anyways, today I have assembled a glider and I
was unable to remove it again - we have spent close to 3 hours trying
to unhook it from a fin. Has anyone experienced anything similar
before? Any ideas? I’m afraid it wont let go without breaking the skin
on the fin and punching the locking pins out directly...

Thanks

GK

I had a 19 for 15 years and never had this problem. Based on my memory
of the attach fittings, I'd suggest putting the bolt in the hole just
far enough that it does not engage the thread. *Then tie a cord round
the bolt and have someone pull the cord horizontally in line with the
tail boom at the same time as you gently rock the stab vertically at
the leading edge and in yaw from one tip.

There may also be enough clearance to thread a length of locking wire
between the top of the fin and the base of the horizontal behind the
vertical bar that carries the attach pins. *

- We've wrapped a wire behind the vertical bar that carries the attach
pins and two other friends were pulling forward on the sides of the
stab; I, in return, was pounding with a hammer on the locking hex
screw that normally locks down the stab. The stab had not even moved a
millimeter... According to a Schleicher Engineer we can knock one of
the pin out, from inside, if we remove the rudder... Maybe the
electrical wire freeze will work, although from Physics it should
shrink the subjected metal and heating should expand it.

Thanks

Gregg