Old August 10th 04, 05:37 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 06:19:25 GMT, "Earl Grieda"
wrote:

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

I do think that the demands of airport neighbors that airplanes
make no noise whatsoever are unreasonable. I personally think that
most complaints about noise are really just an excuse to make
airplanes go away. Most people are basically superstitious morons
who have irrational fears of anything that is even a little bit
outside their experience.

Making no noise is probably unreasonable. I suppose even a hot-air ballon
makes some noise ascending. The airport/neighbor noise issue is difficult
to resolve because "resonable/unreasonable" are to subective a term. Would
a requirement that an aircraft on departure sound no louder at 500 feet than

Here reasonable might take on a different meaning. We are located on
the north side of the fair grounds where they hold motorcycle races,
demolition derbies, and rock concerts.

We had a Falcon 900 three engine jet do a max effort take off the
other day. Even scorched all the grass between the end of 06 and the
road. He wasn't nearly as loud as the rock concerts and he was gone
in 30 seconds. There is also a 4 lane express way between the airport
and expensive neighborhood to the south. They often complain about
noise that turns out to be trucks on the express way.

Some day some one isn't going to make it into the short runways and
take out a couple rows of houses all because they wouldn't let the
runways be lengthened. Yet we have 30 to 40,000# jet landing with
just barely legal distance. We have 5 to 7 jets a week, but none
nearly as large as the Falcon 900. Still, if one of those has a
problem on a short runway?

a 2005 factory Accord sound at full power accelerating from stop onto a
freeway with 70 MPH traffic? Not for a new aircraft designed to that
specification, but unreasonable for existing aircraft. But since it will
take decades before existing aircraft disappear noise will be an issue over
and over.

Besides on the highway you have all that heavy traffic with big rigs
and we can not locally regulate the traffic on the interstate.

I doubt if "most complaints about noise" are about making aircraft go away.
They probably are about making the noise go away.

Wait awhile and I think you will see many just want GA to go away.
They don't even want to hear one going over 5,000 feet up.
With our short runway (18/36) lining up with a subdivision off each
end I only use it when I have to, but when I have to I end up only a
few hundred feet high when I go out over the subdivision. I can count
the boards in the picnic tables. Had they not fought the runway
extension I'd be at pattern altitude. Tremendous difference in noise.
They should be happy I spent the $8800 for the 3-blade prop. With the
2-blade the tips were still supersonic when I went out through there.
They tell me the dishes would dance in the cupboards. We still get a
lot of transient aircraft in with big 2-blade props.

The only sympathy I have for the complainers is altruistic. I care
not for them, but I do care how the noise bothering them will affect
my ability to safely fly.

Although I'd not care for the noise myself, were it not for the
negative impact on the airport I'd like to see about 20 AT-6s flying 8
hours a day out of there on the short runway. Not that I'm
vindictive. I try to be a good neighbor, but I still like the thought
of the 20 AT-6s.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Earl G