Old December 13th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Default Glider rides

This is no longer the 60s or 70s, but the (almost 2010s) with a society that
thinks nothing of posting a lawsuit for personal injury because you yelled
at them to get out of the way of a landing aircraft after you already told
them not to be were they are.

Very few glider clubs in the US have sole use or ownership of the airfield
where they are at.

"Alistair Wright" wrote in message
Well, in my day (the 60's and 70's) in the UK we just made passengers sign
an indemnity form absolving the club from any reponsibility for accident
or injury or loss. Known as 'blood chits', these seemed to satisfy
whatever rules were in force at the time, since the BGA must have been
aware of the practice - every club was doing it. I seem to recall that
some instructions eventually came down from on high about briefing
passengers on how to use their parachute, and what would happen if it was
necessary to abandon the glider. I used to give these instructions and
then add " If I say jump, don't say pardon?, because I won't be around
for a discussion". I never flew passengers at a club that did not own or
rent their site exclusively, so 'operating a business' never arose.
Needless to say I never had to jump, and I don't think anyone else ever
did either.

Alistair W