Old April 19th 11, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default Need Input On Rudder Lock

On Apr 18, 3:07*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Consider fabricating an inside-the-cockpit, front seat only -- *lock
or damper.
Something you would see getting in.
Rear cockpit control locks WILL be overlooked.
Bungee cords work well to dampen the movement and might fold up
nicely.
Decorate with red ribbons.
Add control lock item(s) to pre-flight and post-flight checklists.

(Google "Checklist Boeing B-17" for a reason to create / use pre-
flight checklists.)

If memory serves me, I believe I hooked a bungee from one rear rudder
pedal to fuselage structure so that the bungee held the rudder against
one stop. Won't work from the front cockpit because those pedals are
cable driven, but the rear is hooked directly to a pushrod. For sure,
attach a long red streamer that hangs over the front seat.
JJ