Old June 21st 05, 08:25 PM
M B

AFTER I did it, yes I thought back and yes, the
control pressure was definitely more than expected
at low airspeeds.

But WHEN I did it, I think the surprise of
looking at an ASI and having it tell me...
ambiguous garbage...
distracted my keenness to listen for airflow
or feel for control pressures.

The controls on this glider were quite light to
begin with. The airflow sound was actually
easier to detect for me than control pressures
in this (fairly noisy) glider.

I just distinctly remember it was the very
first time I had ever looked at an ASI where it
was impossible to read as a stand-alone indication
of airspeed. That was very, very strange for me.
Before that, I'd never flown any aircraft with a
wrap-around ASI and done intentional spins.

Part of why I'm writing this now is because the
was quite fascinating. I had to do it many times and
study the ASI to really believe I was in a spiral and
recovery and not a spin. The ASI needle whipped
around in a flash.

I tried spins later with further aft CG and was able
sustain spins, with the expected noise and control
feel
indications.

At 17:24 21 June 2005, Eric Greenwell wrote:
M B wrote:

To verify this, I replicated the same situation twice
more
on the same flight. It was surprising how little

onformation I could get through windspeed noise.

I was relying on the ASI, and it was ambiguously
reading either 30kts or 100kts.

Don't the controls feel differently at 30 knots and
100 knots? That
should be a good clue as you begin the spin recovery.

--
Change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Mark J. Boyd