Old September 11th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Yuliy Gerchikov

Default Glider Crash - Minden?

"588" wrote in message
m...
No ball game that I know comes close to the order of magnitude of
parameters that we deal with here.

Then you don't know Baseball.

In fact, I don't, indeed. So thanks for the numbers.

Now, if only all Hawkers were *coming* from a very well defined -- and known
in advance -- point in space (as pitcher's throw is defined by human body
mechanics), and *going* into a similarly well defined box in space, our job
would be easy.

Imagine that the pitcher can be ANYWHERE around you in 3D, and that he is
invisible -- you don't see him when he throws, only the ball and only once
it is speeding SOMEWHERE towards you. Now, bat!

I assume you have already found out that you can hear a powered
aircraft from the cockpit of your glider.

Nope -- never been close enough, I guess. I doubt it, however, given that
(1) bizjets are amazingly quiet, (2) bizjets descending at flight idle are
quieter yet, and (3) the wind noise is very noticeable even in the best of
the modern gliders. So I would not rely on hearing. Funny, BTW, that in a
parallel thread somebody is suggesting earplugs .

None of these three "sports" is for the indecisive, or the feint of heart.
The advantage is very definitely to the observant, the trained, and the
confidant. One must deal successfully with the numbers, and the
experience -- and it can be done.

Jack

--
Yuliy