Old September 12th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Glider Crash - Minden?

Ron Natalie wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote:

I wonder about this. Does anyone have an idea what percentage of the
VFR airplanes carry a transponder detector, including the low cost
units? I'd guess a majority of them do, but I haven't seen any numbers.

I would think it is actually a tiny fraction. Of all the planes I've
seen or been in over the past year, I can recall only seeing one of
these devices. On the other hand I've been in several with TIS and
one with ADS-B, but even that is a small percentage of the total.

Do you suppose these pilots are using flight following, and decided a
PCAS unit wouldn't improve their odds any? They seem cheap and
plentiful, and airplanes usually fly where there are other airplanes,
all with transponders.

--
Note: email address new as of 9/4/2006

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org