Old July 23rd 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Default Leading Turns With Rudder

For what it is worth - we teach sequentially (in South Africa) the primary effects of controls.

So - for ab-initios it is -
First control - stick forward and back for speed control. Instructor worries about all the rest (Aileron, airbrakes and
rudder). Student ignores string, and direction.
Once bloggs has mastered that the primary effect of the elevators is to control speed, we move on to ailerons
Second control - learn to turn the aircraft with aileron - instructor now only controlling rudder and airbrakes.
Student wories about speed and learns to control direction. Stringf stays where it should be because the instructor is
doint it. Once the student has this one sorted we let him / her put feet on rudders and start teaching co-ordination.
Once that is pretty well sorted the airbrakes are an easy logical next step.
Then we start on permutations like slips and spins and all those other complications.

Works pretty well - when student gets confused about "what does this control do?" - primacy takes over and they tend to
do appropriate things more often.

In my opinion - Anyone who teaches by rote and/or a method that will induce unco-ordinated turns as the primary memory
is dangerous.

For what it is worth I learned this way on a Bergfalke 2/55 - in the gliding encyclopaedia, the definition of "adverse
yaw" says - refer to "Bergfalke". It is notoriously under ruddered and hard to co-ordinate. I certainly learned to use
the rudder, and on almost every conversion since have found myself having to back off on the rudder. But it is
relatively instinctive to apply the - "feet make the string straight" rule. Student learns to make appropriate control
inputs to balance the aircraft, not some set of rules. That brings images of the Prussian officer in those magnificent
men in their flying machines to mind...

Z Goudie wrote:
I used to briefly get absolute beginners to turn using aileron with their
feet off the pedals while I surruptitiously did the ruddery bits and then,
once they'd grasped the fact that banking was the reason the glider
turned, get them to use both together.

Teaching rudder first to ab initios is tantamount to a criminal offence in
my opinion.