Old July 23rd 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Leading Turns With Rudder

Jim White wrote:
Nonsense...if you don't fly the glider efficiently you won't climb or
glide well and you certainly won't win. Accurate flying is fundamental to
XC speed.

My experience with losing in contests is being the the right place at
the right time is fundamental to XC speed. I never wished I'd flown more
efficiently! I'm guessing you haven't flown in many contests or talked
to the winners enough. Flying the glider well is about safety, not going
fast.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org