Old November 7th 17, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default The US Team selection process in future years

At 11:54 07 November 2017, wrote:
Hold the WGC in America. Make the Europeans take a boat.

Marfa, Hobbs and Uvalde X 2. We have hosted them, probably
more times than most any other nation over that time period.
There are a lot of other countries that make up the IGC
community, and a lot of them want their turn to host a WGC.
Most of those countries are grouped together in Europe, so
that's where ~75% of the WGC's will be held. The USA is not
the center of the IGC soaring world. That is a fact that our
folks will just have to deal with. Otherwise, just do OLC and
stay at home...

I stopped racing entirely from 2001 until 2015 because of the
WGC team funding issues. My reasoning was, why bother racing
and qualifying if I'm just going to have to turn down a slot
anyway? I have raced the last 3 years again, mostly for fun,
and to see what the new generation is up to. Going forward
from here, I only see myself racing for the challenge and fun of
it without regards to team selection at all. Otherwise, it just
becomes too frustrating, and makes it not worth the effort at
all anymore..

RO