Old November 6th 20, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Gliding Club Experiences

On Fri, 06 Nov 2020 06:18:07 -0800, markmocho53 wrote:

What? You are saying that the simulator isn't as good as the real thing?
I'm SHOCKED! Shocked, I tell you!

Nah, as you probably sussed, I was just picking on the points that
reached out and grabbed me as the result of using the simulator for solo
pilots' annual flying checks as opposed to pre-solo training and visitor
demos. So, never mind how much better or worse it is than other
simulators: I was far more interested in how well it matches doing
circuits in an ASK-21 and, anyway that clearly what Waremark is
interested in too.

Our annual checks normally involve three things:

- a flying safety seminar.

- winch eventualities in an ASK-21 (two launches during which the only
thing you can be sure of is that the instructor and winchie have
conspired to make it unlikely that you'll get to the top of the cable.

- stalling and spinning exercises in the Puchacz after a 3500-4000 ft
tow, which may also involve out-of-position, low-tow or wake boxing on
the way up.

To hear the Condor folks in my club, you would think that the only
things missing are the cold beer and groupies after the flight, and they
are going to program those "features" very soon.

:-)

Our simulator is a dedicated room at the club, built round a surplus G103
cockpit and using the (Martin-Marietta?) semi-professional version of the
M$ Flight Sim. The cockpit is non-moving. We have a set of 5 projectors
screwed to the ceiling to give a bit more than 180 degree scenery in the
front seat. The instrument panel is an LCD flat screen mounted behind a
black-painted mask with cutouts for the instruments, so is quite
realistic. All controls (pedals, stick, airbrakes, trim and cable
release) are fitted and working though they don't give any speed-related
feel.

The simulator software can do both winch and aero-tow launches.

The only scenery I've seen it running is of our local soaring area,
including an accurate representation of our airfield, but other glider
fields are almost certainly available.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org