Old August 24th 05, 03:20 AM
Bill Daniels

"skysailor" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have approximately 110 hours in sailplanes in the past 2 years and
had no prior experience. I am evaluating used gliders for purchase.The
big kahuna's in the club are pretty adamant about purchasing a first
glider without flaps. My question is: Are flaps that big a problem for
a low time pilot and why??? There many good flapped gliders for sale. I
would like some opinions concerning this.

I'm assuming that your question is about a glider equipped with performance
flaps AND spoilers. I'd suggest that if you can find a Lark IS28 b2 that
you can get a ride in, that might answer your question. The Lark flaps work
pretty much like they all do. In other words, no problemo.

My first flight in a flapped glider (A Diamant) was at about the same number
of hours you have and I had no problem with it. In fact, it was a blast to
fly.

Bill Daniels