Old August 24th 05, 11:09 AM
JB

Last winter I bought a LS3. I had 200 hours flight experience and it was the
first flapped glider I've ever flown.

I had no problem using flaps in the first flight. During take-off I used 0º
as flap setting, so it handled as a standard class glider.
During free flight I used all flap settings without any trouble. LS3 flaps
are very intuitive.
Landing is a bit different as the flap in landing position produces high
drag, so high approach seems to me a better way to land. If I predict a low
approach I don't use landing setting, but rather +5º setting.
Anyway, it was very simple to adapt to the LS3 flaps.

However from what I've seen from fellow glider pilots, not all flapped
gliders are as easy. I recall some guys flying ASW20 that in take-off they
use negative flap setting (to increase aileron effectiveness, otherwise a
wing drop was very common) and in the middle of the take-off roll they put
0º setting. I recall many aborted take-offs due to wing drops.

I suggest you to talk to many people that know a lot on the glider model you
intend to buy, in order to understand the glider behaviour and
characteristics.

José Barriga

"skysailor" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have approximately 110 hours in sailplanes in the past 2 years and
had no prior experience. I am evaluating used gliders for purchase.The
big kahuna's in the club are pretty adamant about purchasing a first
glider without flaps. My question is: Are flaps that big a problem for
a low time pilot and why??? There many good flapped gliders for sale. I
would like some opinions concerning this.