Old November 13th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Default Hot Projects List -- Nav Lights

RST Engineering wrote:
Why not just use CLEAR plastic. Lots of that stuff around. The chemistry
of the LEDs will take care of the color. The only reason that you use
colored plastic on incandescent lights is that they only come in one color.

Jim

Another advantage of using the clear plastic is that it is possible to
get AR grade scraps. The AR grade is scratch and UV resistant. I also
found it to be much less brittle that any plexiglass or lexan I've ever
worked with in the past. I was able to cut the 1/8" sheet very
effectively with a pair of sheet metal shears (then I cleaned the sides
up with a belt sander, followed by a 400grit sanding block).