Old September 9th 18, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Winch Clinic hosted by Carolina Soaring Association

On Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 12:21:41 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
How many winch launches does each participant do?

How high is the nominal launch of your two place trainer?

What aircraft do you use for training?

Spectra or steel rope?

Hi Son,

How many winch launches does each participant do?

We strive to get each participant at least 10 launches.

How high is the nominal launch of your two place trainer?

During normal operation, we typically get anywhere between 12-1400ft AGL, depending on wind and pilot/winch operator skill. We also had several tows to 2,000ft, when the stars aligned just right. However, during the winch clinics, we opt for a shorter run, so the release altitudes will be lower in order to speed up the turn-around. The students are supposed to learn the phases of the launch - soaring away is not the objective.

What aircraft do you use for training?

We use our G103 and may have also a DG500 available.

Spectra or steel rope?

Seriously?? ;-) We have been using Spectra ever since the winch got upgraded to its current state years ago. Although steel cable or even solid wire is still being used around the world, Spectra has many advantages outweighing the higher cost.

Uli
'AS'