Old February 9th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

Default Garmin Gpsmap 96

On Feb 9, 1:03 pm, JGalban wrote:
I wrote :

If battery life is truly important to you, I'd check that opinion

out with Garmin.
I have never seen a color screen that used less power than a

similar grayscale
screen. Particularly with Garmin products.

Never mind.

I took a look at Garmin's specs and it appears to be true. They
list 25 hrs battery life for the 96 and 40 hrs. for the 96C. The 96C
has a slightly smaller screen (2.6" vs. 3"). It also has almost 5
times the memory on board.

Looks pretty good, but the price for the color version is
considerably steeper. $375 USD vs $600 USD. For a basic aviation GPS
with a Jepp database, the grayscale 96 is actually a very good deal.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

--
JGalban
Posted atwww.flight.org

The prices in NZ seem to vary wildly depending on who you talk to.. I
have seen the 96 for anywhere from NZ $799 to $999 (US $550 to $685)
and I got my 96C for NZ $895 + freight from Aus ($100) which is about
US $730