Old March 17th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Rosenfeld

Default A tower-induced go-round

On 16 Mar 2007 18:58:53 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Today we experienced a new first, when the tower controller at
Jefferson City, Missouri decided to cut a Cessa 172 in front of me on
a short right base, *after* clearing me to land on Rwy 30.

Yeah, well he should have canceled your landing clearance, or at least
communicated with you. Or, if you couldn't accept a delay in your
clearance (and a medical emergency is as valid as a mechanical emergency),
you should have communicated with him.

He knew he had a student pilot so was giving him priority, I guess (can't
be sure without reading his mind).

Unless you ask him (and I'd do that on the ground), you can't really be
sure of all the nuances of the situation.

At many airports (in the US), giving multiple a/c clearances to land
without the runway being clear is not unusual. The controller is betting
he'll have the required clearance when you get there. Most of the time it
works out. Sometimes not shrug.

I get that frequently going into KASH, which has a lot of student activity.
Most of the time it works out with me doing slow flight and waiting for the
the a/c ahead to land; sometimes I request a 360 for spacing; and rarely
I'll get a go-around (usually from a controller who doesn't realize how
slowly I can fly my Mooney).
--ron