Old May 11th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default MoGas Tips, Tricks, Concerns, How To

Jay Honeck wrote:
Now that's bull****. Aggressive leaning is COOLER when done properly (i.e.,
using the proper temp range when LOP. It also produces lower internal
cylinder pressures, more through combustion, lower CHT temps.

Not in a carbureted engine. The fuel flows are simply not matched well
enough between cylinders to run lean of peak without risking damage.

Now, in a fuel-injected engine (especially with GAMI), that's a whole
different world. But in the low compression carbureted world, you run
rich of peak, or you risk destroying your engine.

Again, untrue, Jay.

The Continental E-225 (with a PS5-C carburator) in my Bonanzan runs just fine LOP.
I can't quite get as far LOP as my fuel injected bretheren. About 25-30 degrees
LOP seems to be about as far as it goes. Would you like to see the downloads
from my JPI?

Walter Atkinson (sp?) of GAMI has told me he routinely operated a carbed
Cessna 182 (O-470) LOP. In order for it to be smooth he had to play with the
throttle and carb heat some, though.

Now, if you had said that you can't run a carbed Lycoming engine LOP I might
have given you a bit of slack. I think it still can be done, but I think
its much more difficult.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"