Old January 9th 04, 05:24 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote in message

Don't forget Coast Guard One.

When the President is aboard a military aircraft, the callsign becomes the
name of the military service, followed by the word "One." Whether or not a
Coast Guard aircraft is considered a military aircraft is open to debate.
While the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines have all flown the President, I
don't believe the Coast Guard ever has.

Executive One covers any non-Army,
USMC, Navy, Air Force, or Coast Guard government aircraft the Pres
flies in.

Ececutive One is the callsign of any civil aircraft carrying the President.

I don't know when the last President flew in a
civilian/commercial aircraft - prolly dates back to or before Ike's
Columbine days. I suspect, with no basis for it other than 40+ years
of government watching from the inside and outside, that if one did
fly civilian, they'd use the Executive One call.

Nixon traveled aboard a civil airliner once during the first gas crunch.