Old January 14th 04, 03:39 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 14 Jan 2004 06:19:24 -0800, (Bob Martin) wrote:

I'm working in the avionics integration test facility at Gulfstream...
one of the engineers had a question for me (being an airplane person
instead of an electrical/computer guy) that I couldn't answer... why
do airplanes use 28V DC systems (or 14V)? He says most industrial
applications use 24V DC. I tried googling on it but nowhere did it
suggest any reason why, just that it is.

It's only nomenclature.

In the airplanes, they are "naming" the voltage based on the charging
voltage; whereas in the other industrial applications they are "naming" the
voltage based on the *nominal* battery voltage.