Old March 14th 04, 09:59 AM
Uri Saovray

Thanks guys for the replies.
The advice I received is obviously good, but I would love to have an
official or at least tested (on an edelweiss) answer, as I would not
like to experiment with this myself.
BTW, the Edelweiss in question completed it's test flight on Friday,
after seven years being hung up in the hangar. This makes (again) two
flying C30S's in Israel.
Best regards,
Uri

(Finbar) wrote in message . com...
Does anyone have the official (or otherwise) procedure for exiting a
spin in this aircraft.
Just a hint: with the V tail and mixer, full rudder with stick forward
is not an option.

I know nothing about this specific aircraft, but I recently came
across a note on spin recovery technique that was a little different
to what I've read elsewhe (can be found in
http://www.seqair.com/FlightTest/Fli...tTestGuide.pdf)

"Release the stick, engine cut to idle, and push full rudder with
whichever foot is getting most resistance from the rudder pedal. This
will be opposite rudder, even if you are in an inverted spin. When
you let go of the stick, it will go of its own accord to the correct
position: back and in-spin for a normal erect spin.

This method has been promoted by aerobatic instructor Gene Beggs, to
the point that everyone calls it the 'Beggs method.' With the
exception of a few aircraft, the Beggs method has been proven to be
the safest and best method for recovering from unintentional spins of
all types: erect, inverted, and flat."

(As you can see, the reference is for powered aircraft, which of
course have much shorter wings.)

What's striking to me is that this method (and another method, the
Muller method) assume that until the spin stops the stick should be
held BACK. What I've seen before was
opposite-rudder-then-stick-forward, but this method clearly calls for
opposite-rudder-with-stick-back.

Apparently you don't need to be able to apply opposite rudder and down
elevator: full opposite rudder, and whatever stick back you can get
seems to be what they recommend. (Presumably the stick is eased
forward during the diving exit from the spin to limit g in the
pullout.)

I'd love to hear comments on this from more practiced spin-ers!