Old March 11th 13, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Corrigan[_2_]

Default PowerFLARM, LX7007 Pro IGC and a PDA ... how to ...

Hi Ted,

I have a LX7007 Pro IGC and Power Flarm (PF) Brick. About 9 months ago I
investigated the question you are asking.

The short answer to your question about integrating the LX7007 with PF is:
No it can't be done.

Working through my local LX dealer, which is Dave Springford at Fox One, a
message was sent to the factory about this issue.

It is true your LX7007 can be integrated with FLARM. However, Power FLARM
is different because of the ADS-B. (I'm going from memory of 9 months ago).

The LX8000 & LX9000 are radically different units that handle PF. I'm
guessing LX is focusing their efforts on new equipment and not upgrading
the capabilites of old equipment.

In my case, I installed a small Butter Fly display to view the PF data.

Andrew

At 01:31 11 March 2013, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Ted,

I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that the LX7007 Pro IGC can receive

FLARM

data on the PC serial port. I recommend asking LX Navigation about it.

I know for a fact the LXNAV LX8000 and LX9000 products can received FLARM

data on the PC serial port. I have tested it.

You could have the Brick send data to the LX7007 on one of the serial

ports

and to the Oudie on the other serial port.

I don't think it's possible to have the LX7007 both receive FLARM data and

output vario and other data for the Oudie.

I think the best approach may be to use a K6 Mux to receive both LX7007
data
and FLARM data and send it all to the Oudie. That is what I would do. I

can help you with the cables and K6 Mux is you go this route.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
____________________________________

"2NO" wrote in message

I'm finally getting around to installing my PowerFLARM (brick) and I need

some help getting pointed in the right direction.

I have an LX7007 Pro IGC, but my unit does *not* have the RJ45 receptacle
on
the back where it says "FLARM".

I have an HP4700x PDA that I plan to replace with an Oudie soon.

So my question boils down to, is it possible to connect the PF to the
LX7007
(using some means other than its RJ45 connector), so that a PDA connected
the LX7007 is also receiving PF data?

I was planning to have my Oudie connected to my LX7007 so that it receives

its pressure data sentences, which I'll lose if I connect the Oudie to the

PF instead.

I'm suspecting that my best option is a completely independent PF
installation, in which case it would be a shame to lose PF
warning/tracking/alert data on the moving maps.

Advance thanks,

2NO