Old March 1st 17, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default EASA licence and insurance

On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 7:47:32 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
My experience has been as follows:

In Australia, my US license was not valid to fly an Australian
registered powered aircraft. I was told that I could fly a US
registered aircraft (if I could find one) or take a written test on
Australian rules and a check ride to get an Australian license. No
license was required to fly a glider. After being signed off by a GFA
instructor, I was allowed to carry passengers in an Australian
registered glider.

When I bought my Stemme in Mexico, I was not allowed to fly it as pilot
in command within Mexico with my US license and had to hire a Mexican
pilot to get me across the border. After that, I was legal in the US to
fly the Mexican registered aircraft until I was able to get it
registered in the US.

On 2/28/2017 3:16 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 5:00:05 PM UTC-5, pete purdie wrote:
Two countries divided by a common language, Dave. Actually, in thgis
context 'competent' doesn't mean they know what they are doing, it's Euro
bureaucrat speak for an official body - not one that knows what they are
talking about.

I'm well aware...

--
Dan, 5J

All over the World, this has "results may vary" written on it.
Heard of others having a similar time with CASA. Mostly it is due to security checks.
Have witnessed the same with CAA in South Africa.
But it took me two days from application to being handed a printed CASA (Australian) PPL-A based on FAA stuff. For gliders, it is even easier.
Imagine the EASA to FAA route would have similarly varied sets of results.
Jim