Old June 18th 04, 07:01 AM
Eric Greenwell

Vorsanger1 wrote:
Jim indicated that it is his choice whether or not to carry an ELT, and it is
NOT the contest manager's responsibility to search and rescue, or body
recovery. The fact is that when a plane or boat goes missing, a whole lot of
assets and efforts go into trying to help / rescue the crew. That being said,
and since it is the individual pilot's responsibility to deny or accept
assistance, let all those pilots who opt NOT to be helped to have this
preference down in writing, notarized, etc...This in order to absolve everybody
else in the case of a mishap.

I"m trying to imagine the publicity the sport might receive if a glider
crashed, and the organizers did nothing. Would that seem bizarre to the
public?

"The pilot requested we do nothing if he did not return", stated the
contest official, "and particularly not alert search and rescue people
or the police". "Of course, we hope he is enjoying himself, whereever he
might be", continued the contest official, who asked to remain
anonymouus, as requested by the missing pilot on his entry form.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA