Old May 7th 19, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Implausible Time Records

No help from ClearNav (yet).Â* I've updated the CNvXC firmware but not
flown with it yet.Â* It's overcast here...Â* As stated elsewhere, I'll
snug the connectors with a wrench (spanner), and I've relocated the
antenna pucks further apart, though a local pilot tells me he has four
antennae lined up next to each other and has no problems with reception.

Elsewhere I said that I don't have drop outs with the engine running.Â*
That was not entirely true.Â* I've had drop outs during repositioning
flights over the Rocky Mountains at 18,000' MSL.Â* It's very annoying but
I can see where I'm going and I'm not scoring those flights.

If I lose any more flights, I'll have to buy new antennae...

On 5/7/2019 2:21 AM, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
Returning to the original problem, the warning from OLC is not particularly
helpful. The only problem detected was the out-of-sequence times. If these
were caused by corruption of the GPS signal, it should not affect the time
record. A failure of GPS signal will be shown in the IGC file as a zero GPS
altitude. This is not the case, therefore we can take it that it is not a
GPS problem.

As the time error occurred during take-off, when the glider was only a few
feet AGL, it was long before the start of the ‘Soaring Performance’, so
OLC is being a bit pedantic. I very much doubt if a Badge Claim would have
noticed this. SeeYou just skips over it.

I see this as a problem owned by ClearNav, although I have seen similar
time sequence errors in other recorders over the years. It will be
interesting to see if it reappears with the latest firmware.

Tim.

--
Dan, 5J