Old September 23rd 14, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Default 2015 18m Nationals

On Monday, September 22, 2014 6:35:28 PM UTC-6, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Monday, 22 September 2014 18:17:59 UTC-6, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 2:51:52 PM UTC-6, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

Could anyone explain why 2 years in a row we have 18 m Nationals on the west coast? This year Minden and next year Hobbs. As far as I remember Bermuda High was willing to host the 18m Nationals in 2015. This arrangement is totally unfair to East Coast pilots.

Does that mean 2016 and 2017 are going to be on the East coast?

I know some of the decision makers read this news group maybe someone is going to comment?

AK

AK, this is not an attempt to stir the pot. Question? Have you sent the chair, of the BOD, of the SSA and asked him? His email can be found on the SSA website. As you might know, the BOD approves what is forwarded to them, from the site selection committee. My thoughts for a least one question (HINT) to Richard, who flies regularly at Bermuda High, is, "how it ever got on the SSA website to begin with, since it was never approved?"

Over the years, the site selection committee has gone to great lengths to even find a host for some of our Nationals. They even came up with how and what an event should have in order be run with success. Years past, their was no direction even offered a contest manager or hosting organization. Heck, one even flew on her own expense, to present the IGC the paperwork, to bring the WGC to Uvalde.

There also seems to be confusion as how these "zones" work. The most important is, "bids" are needed for the system to work. Again, this years National turnout wasn't stellar. Lowest turnout for the 15 Meter Nationals in their history. Standard Nationals were cancelled, due to lack of entrants. Even the 18's, which were held at one of the worlds premier soaring sites, Minden, had a low turn out. New Castle had a waiting list for many years, today...check the SSA site! The organizers need to at least break even. The hat has been passed amongst the entrants, more than once, to help these folks out.

The zones, as I have been told, were altered for 2015, because of a special request from Elmira. A special celebration concerning our past history is in store. Hint, it's what was quietly told to me.

Sometimes, as we know, all the story isn't told, which leads to false conclusions, which might seem justified at the time. I do hope you find your answer.

Best, Tom Kelley. #711.

Tom, thanks for the history lesson. Can you point me to where 'zones' are defined? you allude to the fact that may have been altered for 2015 for some definition must exist.

I do try to understand how we got to where we are and I am trying to keep contests going in the west. Hoping to continue to have contests in Utah in 2015 and are preparing for the nationals in 2016.

Ron Gleason

Zones are not defined, as our Nationals need to be held somewhere. Sometimes its hard to find a "host". So the zone (west...mid...east) is enlarged if and when a bidder steps in. The site selection committee does try to follow the rotation and makes a recommendation to the BOD which then makes the final decision.
As I was told, their were no bids received for the 15's within their "zone".. Elmira stepped in and asked...by what was shared with me....so thats how it went where its at. I would think the rotation will be again be followed....if "hosts" within these so called loosely defined "zones" turn in bids.

Mixing of the classes are for one main reason, for the "host" to break even.. Many know what you, Bruno and your folks are doing for the sport and its not going unnoticed.

Best, Tom.