Old September 6th 03, 03:27 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message

But I'm seriously tempted by the various devices which provide several
features, including GPS features, in a palmtop (ie. the IPaq or such). I
especially like that these can be expanded to include weather downloads,
backup "gyro" instruments, etc.

Much has been written on this group about various portable solutions like
this for weather.

Yes, there are portable electronic gyros available but I think an electric
AI is a much better solution for the money... gyros are too critical and
belong in the panel.

As far as PDA-based GPS units, I think in the end buttons are far more
usable in flight than a stylus and screen. I have never seen and cannot
imagine a PDA-based interface usable in an airplane which is superior to a
dedicated handheld GPS with pushbuttons and rockerbuttons.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com